Troubleshooting and Tips for Getting an Accurate Pulse Reading with Inner Balance
If you are having trouble getting a correct pulse reading on the Heart Rate Variability (HRV) Display when starting a session with the Inner Balance Trainer, the following troubleshooting tips will help ensure that you get an accurate reading. Please see the Quick Start Guide for details on setting up the hardware and beginning a Session.
The following steps resolve 98% of all issues with Inner Balance.
Please perform each step, especially closing all open apps and rebooting your device.
iOS Lightning Connector:
- Protective cases may interfere with the connection. Try taking the Device out of the protective case to see if this is the problem.
- Make sure the ear sensor cable is securely connected to the Inner Balance connector. The post on the ear sensor cable should be fully inserted into the connector.
- Before starting up the Inner Balance app, ensure that the connector is securely plugged into the charging port on your device. The App will look for the sensor when you start it.
- On some systems plugging the connector in after launching the App may result in a message reading sensor cannot be found. If you see that error message, plug in the connector, ear sensor and restart the App. If necessary, restart the device.
NOTE: You should always use the lapel clip so that the entire weight of the cable is not dangling from your ear. This can cause inconsistent pulse readings display due to a poor connection. Attach the lapel clip to your clothing with enough slack left to be able to move your head without it tugging on it.
All Bluetooth users:
Make sure that your sensor is paired with the app and not the device. The sensor will not connect if paired to the device. The blue light on the control section will flash when it’s turned on and connected to the app.
Sometimes, apps may not be as responsive as they should be.
The cause of this may be that you have too many apps open at one time.
Close as many apps as you can, especially if you are using a phone device.
Your phone is always trying to maintain a cell connection and in combination with numerous apps being open, the device may be competing for resources with the Inner Balance app.
You may need to reboot your device to refresh its app connection.
NOTE: It is important to check for updates to the Inner Balance app, periodically.
- The ear sensor should be attached directly to your earlobe. The ear sensor detects your pulse more easily if your ear is warm! You can warm your ear by briefly holding it with your hands before clipping on the sensor. Make sure that the ear sensor is positioned on the fleshy part of your ear lobe.
- Please Note: As a general suggestion, place it as close to your cheek as possible.
- The ear sensor is a very sensitive piece of equipment so for the best results getting a reading, please be still and quiet. Talking or moving reduces the accuracy of the sensor. Taking a few deep breaths before attaching the ear sensor may help you to relax and get a good reading.
- You may need to search for the optimum spot on your ear lobe by moving the sensor to another part of your earlobe or even to the other ear lobe, to get a good reading. As human beings, we are not the same on both sides of our bodies and you may get a better reading by switching to the other ear lobe. When repositioning the ear sensor, it may take a few seconds to register your pulse.
Ensure your sensor is clean. It could be as simple as a buildup of skin oil on the sensor windows. To clean the sensor, use ONLY a couple of drops of alcohol on a soft cloth, and wipe the inside/skin contact point of the sensor.
NOTE: It is imperative that the cloth not be dripping wet; if ANY liquid gets into the sensor, it will be ruined and invalidate the replacement warranty.
Please see the on-line Help in your application or if you would like there is video instruction at: HeartMath Free Training — Inner Balance.
For best results, please upgrade to the latest versions of Inner Balance products and use Sensors and Connectors that are purchased together.